Thursday, March 23, 2017

No Place Like ...

Well, we aren’t at home.  Right now we don’t even have a home.  We sold our Seattle house and don’t close on our Knoxville house for just over a week.  Currently we are lodging in the guest suite at some friends’ condo building in Belltown (just north of downtown) in Seattle.  But there’s a bed (that Deb is snoozing in) and a sofa (that I am sitting on) and a few other amenities that make our stay comfortable enough for now, so even though it isn’t ‘home’, it will do for the next few days until we fly back to Knoxville.

What happened since my last post?  I’m glad you asked (at least I imagined that you might ask).  I grabbed a quick breakfast across the street after Deb went back and then went back over and wrote the previous post.  It was around 1130 or so when Dr. Paige came out to talk to me after he was done.  Mostly he went over exactly what he did with Deb’s navel since he discovered (and corrected) an umbilical hernia when he went in.  Deb will still have a navel for now.  He did some more work with it and we will see how that does over the next several months until we make it back to Seattle for another look-see by Dr. Paige.

Since I had another 30 – 45 minutes to wait for Deb to come out from under before I could see her, I went down to the bank branch located in the same building at street level (how convenient!) and moved a little bit of money around.  I then went back up and waited for Deb.

As advertised, she was ready in about 40 minutes and we headed downstairs to grab an UberX back to the Belltown suite.  I gave her some lunch and some pain-killers, and then changed her first dressings out before putting her to bed (she actually did that part herself).  I ran out quickly to get some more dressings and such at a Rite-Aid just a couple of blocks away while she rested, and since then she’s been snoozing.  That’s a good thing.

She’s a bit sore around her navel (not surprising) but the local numbing agents really haven’t worn off enough of the rest of her incision points for her to know just how much discomfort she will have in the near-term.  I’m hoping for ‘not too much’, but trying to prepare for ‘quite a bit’ if necessary.


She will go back around midday on Monday for a check-in to make sure everything is as it should be before we fly out on Tuesday.  If anything noteworthy comes up before then I’ll write a post, but otherwise I will likely elect to pay more attention to her than to the blog.  So for the weekend, no news is okay news.

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that Deborah's surgery is over, and you and she have a comfortable "home away from home" landing pad with friends. Good news about the belly button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still don't have the last word on the belly button, but at least there's a bit of hope that she will have one. We will reassess in July when she sees Dr. Paige again, but I hope there will be nothing more to do to it. I'll admit that if they'd closed it off I had a story ready that she'd been abducted and replaced by an alien.

      Delete