Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Sandman Cometh

There are a lot of things that have happened in the last few days, but I won’t go into too much detail there.  We arrived in Seattle on March 17th and have been running about doing things and seeing people until today.  Deb did actually have a pre-surgery appointment with her doctor (Dr. Paige) yesterday, but I wasn’t there (I was in an adjacent building for a final visit with one of my doctors) so I can’t report too much about it.  Mostly they talked about what he was going to do her today.  We saw him right before they took her back a little while ago and they went over it all again anyway, so I really didn’t miss anything important as far as I can tell.  I just know that Deb is looking forward to the sedation so she can get a little extra sleep this morning.

Essentially this is a touch-up surgery from what he did for her back in September with the major reconstruction.  Nip here, tuck there, work on her navel (that’s right, her belly button is still a hot topic) and also the removal of the port.  In case I haven’t explained the port before, it is essentially a target point about the size of a quarter that they installed just below the skin back in February of 2016.  The port allowed them to place the IV needle there (since it connects to a catheter into a major vein) instead of having to find a vein in her arm each time they did chemotherapy or other drug infusions (e.g., Herceptin).  Since she only has two more infusions remaining, this seemed as good a time as any to remove the port since she’s under anesthesia anyway.

I expect to hear from Dr. Paige in about another 30 minutes or so.  He said it would likely take a couple of hours to do everything, so depending on when they actually got started that could be anywhere between 1100 or 1130 PT (add three hours if you are in the Eastern Time Zone, of course).

Meanwhile, I have been trying to write this update while also trying to talk on the phone to Comcast/Xfinity about getting new service set up in Knoxville and getting our Comcast email addresses linked to that service (and not the old Seattle service we’ve already closed out).  Not an easy process, but I’m giving it the old college try – even though I’m no longer in college.


I’ll try to post again later after Deb has been awake for a while and we get her settled back in at the suite where we are staying until next Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment