Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Parted Again

Well, she sent me away. No, not really, but I did have to leave Deb back in TN so I could come back out to the Upper Left Coast. We drove from Kingsport to Knoxville early yesterday morning in the pick-up, which wasn't exactly the most comfortable of rides for her, but it was tolerable enough I suppose. We had several stops to make on the way into town and then went to the house to do a few last minute things at the house before her appointment with her surgeon.

Mom-Linda had to pick up something for us in Kingsport, so she left there a little later than we did. She met us at the house as I was finishing up doing a little touch-up painting on some spots where we had removed screws and nails and put some spackle. We left the pick-up in the garage, loaded my luggage into Mom-Linda's car, and headed over to the surgeon's office.

We got there a bit early, so we had to wait until he got there from the hospital (he'd done a couple of surgeries that morning). He took off Deb's bandages and declared that she was healing according to plan. Then he took out her surgical drain.

Deb had gone through the drain removal process twice before (she had two drains after the last surgery, and they came out at different times). I think that this time with the one was equal to, or perhaps more than, the pain of the other two combined. She said it made her a little more sympathetic all of her patients whose drains she'd pulled over the years.

The doc wrapped her back up, told her she could now remove bandages in order to take a shower, and set her up to come back in a week to have sutures and staples removed.

We left the office and went to grab some lunch, and then they drove me to the airport and walked me up to security. Their plan from there was to go back by the house and pick up some last minute stuff and then head back to Kingsport. I did talk and text at times with Deb from the various airports I visited, and once more once I reached the Seattle house, so I know she was doing OK post-drain removal.

I talked to her again this morning. She was just finishing up her shower. I think that being able to do that has made her very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment