Thursday, October 29, 2009

New Recovery Ward

We arrived in Kingsport this afternoon and are now at Mom-Linda's house. We didn't arrive at the same time, though. Deb got here about two hours before I did. She rode up with Mom-Linda in her car, saying that riding in the pick-up truck would be too rough for her to be comfortable. I can believe that. I once rode in that same truck (back when it belonged to my friend John) from Gainesville, GA to Knoxville, TN with a broken clavicle, fractured superorbital, and fresh stitches in my forehead - without the benefit of painkillers - and I can see what she might mean.

I decided to take a shower and get a bite to eat before heading up to Kingsport myself. I hadn't had a chance to shower at the hospital, and I didn't get breakfast there either, and it was almost noon when Deb finally got discharged. By the time I got to Kingsport Deb was firmly planted in a nice recliner and talking with Frank and Kathy, who had driven over from Elizabethton to see her. I figure that I was between an hour to two hours behind Deb getting here.

As I sit here typing this post, Deb is back in that recliner (after having had dinner at the table) and reading her new book. At this point after the last surgery, she was still to miserable to think about reading anything, or even holding a full conversation. She's still having pain - don't get me wrong on that - but I think it is much more manageable for her this time around. Of course, having a Percocet every four hours is certainly helping with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment