Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Surgery Day

Well, they just wheeled Deb back into the OR, so I now have time to create this post. I tried to do it while I was back with Deb in the prep rooms, but I was having trouble getting enough signal to my Blackberry to make it work.

We arrived at the hospital just before 0700 and Deb came and checked in while I was parking the pick-up. Unlike the previous surgery back in June, this time Mom-Linda (Deb's mom) and Rusty are here, too. They drove down from Kingsport last night, and Deb and I will go back to Kingsport for Deb's recovery. Since we moved most of our household items to Seattle, there isn't anything more than a bed for Deb, and no way to heat or even serve food. Plus, this way Mom-Linda will be able to keep caring for Deb when I have to leave and head back to Seattle.

I went back to the prep area with Deb (only one person is allowed to go with a patient back there). I sat with her while they came in and put in the IV, put little footie things on her that blow up every minute or two (I would assume they help keep blood flow active in her legs), and quizzed her on who she was and why she was there a half-dozen times. Dr. Kleto, her surgeon, came in and made a series of arcane marks on her to help guide him during the surgery. Dr. Kleto is a nut. The CRNA confirmed that he's always entertaining to be in the operating room with.

They finally took her back just after 0830 and sent me back out to the waiting room. Apparently spouses are not allowed back in the OR. Not that I'd want to be there when they take a scalpel to her anyway.

So now we just sit and wait. Mom-Linda had gone and gotten breakfast at the cafeteria for her and Rusty when I got back out here, and as soon as I finish publishing this post I will head down there to get something for myself. Happily, they seem to have pretty decent food here as I remember from last time.

More updates as I get more news.

No comments:

Post a Comment