Thursday, September 8, 2016

Catching Up (Round Two Imminent)

Long time, no blog.  I can’t remember the exact date of my last post – and I don’t feel like going back and looking it up – but I know it has been a while.  Things have been progressing along as we have expected for the last couple of months.  Deb has been getting an infusion of Herceptin every three weeks ever since the Taxol infusions ended.  The Herceptin infusions don’t take nearly as long without the Taxol addition.  Mainly just a quick check-in with the oncologist followed by about an hour sitting in her chair in the infusion room.  Pretty tame now that we’ve sent the freezy-caps back to New Jersey.

As a matter of fact, we are back at the oncologist’s/infusion center now (I started this post in the waiting room and finished it in the infusion room).  This will be the last infusion before Deb’s reconstruction surgery, which looms large on the horizon (like a dark and angry storm cloud … at least that’s my perception of it right now).

Two weeks ago we paid a visit to the surgeon who will be doing Deb’s reconstruction surgery – in part.  In part, you might ask?  Yeah, seems that this will be a 10±2 hour long surgery, so he and his office partner will be tagging in and out.  That’s a really long time for Deb to be under anesthesia.  I’m not thrilled about that part.  Anyway, he seems to be happy with the healing on Deb’s chest area and is confident of a positive outcome, so I’ll just roll with that.

So that starts on Monday morning.  I’ll take Deb to the hospital really early and I’ll stay with her until they take her back into the surgery suite.  At that point I will try to remember to post something.  Then I’ll go sit somewhere in the waiting area until I get hungry.  Then I’ll go eat, maybe run home and walk the dog, and go back to the waiting area and watch the status board like a hawk.  When I hear something about her being in recovery I will likely post again, and then probably again once I have seen her.

I don’t know if I will be able to spend the night at the hospital with her that first night.  Deb will be in ICU overnight and won’t go to a regular room until sometime on Tuesday.  If we can get her a private room I might be allowed to stay overnight that night.  I’ve been told to expect that she’ll be sent home on Wednesday at the earliest or possibly Thursday at the latest.

So that’s the plan.  I’ll be posting updates as any new information comes up (which is a lot easier on us than having the same phone conversation with 50 different people – that’s hyperbole, but only a little).


So Monday.  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment