Monday, September 12, 2016

Wow, That's DIEP ...

I've seen the surgeons, and they are done.  All that was left when they came out to talk to me was the final sutures and supergluing (yeah, really ... that's what they do).  I still won't get to see her for another three or four hours, though.  Long sedation equals long stint in Recovery 1.  Then they will move her to a room in the ICU wing, where I will be allowed to see her and possibly even spend the night.  I've never been allowed to do that before, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

So Deb had what's known as the DIEP procedure, which stands for Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforators.  'Inferior' just means they are below the fat layer, not that they are underperformers somehow.  The surgeons say that they are pleased with the results and everything should be fine, though she will be closely monitored (hence ICU overnight) should any complications arise.

I just know I won't feel better until I actually get back to see her.  That may not be until 2100 or 2200, but I'll just have to wait.  They don't appreciate family members who try to push their way back into the recovery area before they are called.  Yes, I've seen someone try it once.  Security got involved with stunning quickness. 

I wonder if she'll still have on the warming robe?


No comments:

Post a Comment