Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Up Down Up Down ...

I don't know how, but I think Deb and I actually got  little more sleep last night. We still had the every-30-minute intrusion for monitoring by the night nurse, but I think Deb was able to remain semi-asleep/semi-awake for most of those.  I know I didn't wake up for all of them.

Jackie (surgeon's PA) showed up early at around 0630 and looked Deb over.  While Deb's Doppler sounds and capillary refill are good, there is a little concern that the color is still a little pinker than the other side.  She left to file her report notes to Dr. Paige.

Dr. Paige showed up at about 0715 to have a look.  He noted the same things, but didn't think it warrants another surgery.  This time it's going to be a 'wait-and-watch' approach.  I think he feels that this will work itself out across the day (and I think he also feels that going back in again now might cause potential issues for no gain).  Still, he felt encouraged enough that Deb's dietary restriction is over.  She gets to eat!  Seeing as how she hasn't eaten since Sunday evening at 2130, she's ravenous (I've been careful not to mention food around her before now). I think his larger concern right now is around her navel which is right in line with the abdominal incision, but that's just something else to watch for now.  Dr. Beshlian came by a few minutes later and also thought things looked promising (he seemed more willing to show outward confidence today).

Deb will also begin the process of transitioning from ICU into a regular room.  Sometimes that happens quickly, sometimes it happens slowly, so I don't know exactly when we get to wave 'bye-bye' to ICU.  Maybe by the time I go back.

I've come back to the house this morning to take care of the dog and to get a shower and wash dishes and set up the sofa for Deb's homecoming and find a place to buy a walker and ... but enough about me.  Let's talk about Deb.

Deb has now made three excursions from the bed.  Twice she's been out into the hall (further the second time) and once to the bathroom.  She feels a bit weak right now, but thinks that is in large part due to lack of food (she was calling in her order to Food Services when I left, so that should get better).  It's painful - to no surprise - to get up and move around, but she's doing it and showing improvements.

Annnnnd I just got a call from Teri (one of the ICU day nurses) to let me know that they have a room assignment for Deb and that she'll likely be moved there before I get back. I will go back in a few more hours once I complete everything else and I will try to provide another update this afternoon.

So maybe not completely out of the woods yet, but I think I can at least see the edges of suburbia now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Deb is doing better and is walking around! Good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ongoing updates. Unc Bud and I keep praying - and are SO happy that progress is being made!!

    ReplyDelete