Monday, September 12, 2016

Notes From All Over

I'm now resting comfortably at home, and ...

Well, I am at home, but I'm not exactly resting.  I had to come home anyway to walk and feed the dog, Betty, but I'm hardly at rest.

They actually didn't take Deb back until closer to 0750 this morning, but before they took her away from me we'd had a lot more visitors.  Two of the surgical assistants (PAs) from Dr. Paige's office came by (one of whom will be monitoring Deb's care throughout her stay at the hospital) to say 'Hi' and that they will be in the OR with Deb as well.  Dr. Paige also came by to talk over things and then draw on Deb with a marker (incision lines and what-not).  The recovery room nurse also stopped in a couple of times, as well as another nurse who will update me every two hours from the OR and finally the anesthesiologist.  She put in Deb's IV line after going over the plans and procedures once again and then was the one who actually wheeled Deb out of the room.  So that was - including the first admitting nurse - Amy, Jackie, Kathy, Keith, Vicki, Rebecca, and Deborah (not my Deborah).  I really am trying to be better about getting names when I talk to people, especially since they knew ours.

I've been asked to be sure I am back at the hospital by 1430, though I will likely be back there by noon or soon after.  I'm not likely to hear anything definitive until 1500 at the earliest, though possibly not until 1800.  So if you check back and I haven't posted yet, I don't know anything yet.

One more word about the Bair Paws system.  Another stated reason from 3M for the use of the system is that patients under anesthesia can't properly regulate body temperature.  Since Deb is scheduled for a really long surgery I'm happy for that precaution.  The system looks like this:
Of course, the comment Deb made when they were hooking it up was that it reminded her of this:
Let's see how many younger readers of this blog aren't familiar with this antiquated apparatus (Deb said "I'm really aging myself, aren't I?").


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates George, your writing makes us feel like we're right there with both of you! Tell Deb that I too recognize the "antiquated apparatus" photo, one small advantage of being of a certain age. Give Deb our collective best and take care - Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use something in our ORs called Bair Hugger that is similar. Since they keep ORs very cool and anesthesia tends to make people shiver also, it is a good thing.

    Prayer and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    Dave and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found out that the robe is called a Bair Hugger and the warm air pump is called the Bair PAWS.

      Delete