Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Moonlight Over Seattle

I have performed my dog walking/feeding duties for the evening and got back to the hospital at around 2230 or so, only to find Deb – with the help of Chelsea, the night nurse – coming back out of the restroom and ready for another walk around the 11SW ward (which is where we are tonight, and there’s a really good view of the southwest end of downtown/SoDo from the room’s window).  Deb took her third lap around the longer course for the evening and plans to go for maybe one more sometime during the night.  The slippers I brought from home should be more comfortable than the textured socks that hospitals like to give out.

I left this evening for home at around 1920 since I wanted to wait until the handoff between the day nurse, Susan, and Chelsea.  That way Chelsea would at least recognize me when I got back and not wonder who that strange guy is walking into Deb’s room.  Deb had already had her dinner (which looked very good, by the way – some kind of cod preparation) and Jackie had been by one more time to try to work with that one problematic surgical drain (I think she got it this time).

Deb was just nodding off into la-la-land when I left, and reportedly had remained there almost up to the time I got back.  That’s a good thing, but she noted that she had stiffened up a good bit due to lack of movement during her last walk around the ward.

Here’s a current report on Deb’s condition overall:
-        - She’s off the IV and onto oral meds now except for the occasional shot of Heparin they put into her leg (which apparently stings a good bit).
-        - The recovery of the right side (the one they went back into yesterday) appears to by improving, though Jackie will evaluate it again in the morning.
-        - Her kidneys are working quite well, thank you, as evidenced by the regular trips to the restroom.
-        - Her navel area still looks like it is a bit angry, so Jackie will be looking at that again tomorrow morning as well.
-        - We expect to be sent home tomorrow morning, though the time it takes to be discharged can vary wildly.  I’m hopeful that we can leave soon after 1100 (since that will be one of the best times traffic-wise to head home with the least delays).
-        - Deb will likely spend most of the first week at home on the first floor of our house due to the challenges presented by stairs at this point.  I still haven’t quite figured out how to get her up the two stairs to our front porch without causing abdominal strain.  But I will … I will.  Nonetheless, the sofa and her reclining chair are ready for her.


Look for another update sometime tomorrow.  If I have time between the morning assessment and actual discharge I will post something then.  If not, I will do so sometime after we get home and get Deb settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment