Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Decision

Well, they are going back in for a look this morning.  I am hopeful that it is something that they can fix easily if there’s something actually amiss.  Jackie (one of the surgical PA’s) has been talking with us about the plan, and Dr. Paige told us he hopes it is a simple thing.  All that aside, I know that they will do everything they can to ensure the success of the surgery and that Deb’s overall health is paramount.

Pre-Surgery (initial anesthesia, etc) may started around 0830 or so when they wheeled her down to the same pre-surgical suite we were in yesterday. We met a new Anesthesiologist and CRNA and the girl taking Rebecca’s place on the surgical team, Darby.   Darby has my cell number and will be the one calling me from the OR to update me.

If they can fix it, great.  If not, they remove that side’s work, close up, and we regroup later to come up with another plan, be it taking tissue from another area or putting in an expander for a later implant or whatever.  That’s what I know right now.  Wish us luck for the first part of that rather than the latter part.

Deb went back to the OR at around 0900.  I then went and searched for my phone which I’d misplaced (it was back in ICU where I figured it might be, but I had to retrace my steps including finding the same elevator).  Now I’ve run home to feed the dog and let her out for a bit and I will head back to the hospital around 1100 or so.  I likely won’t see Deb until noon or 1300, but we will be back in the same room in ICU tonight. 

So it begins again …


2 comments:

  1. Dear God in Heaven! I had no idea of what you all have been through recently. Michael came in the room and asked me what DIEP was. I said, "You mean a DIEP flap?" He said, "Well I didn't see anything about a flap, but George posted that Deborah was getting a DIEP." That prompted me to look up your FB posts, which led me to this blog. I didn't have the DIEP, although I wanted to, considering getting a tummy tuck would have been nice. My first surgery was the mastectomies and placement of tissue expanders all at once, which "only" lasted about 7 hours. They can't really do bilateral mastectomy and DIEP at the same time, due to needing to be under anesthesia for 18-20 hours for all that stuff.
    I am praying for Deborah's healing and the surgeon's steady hand. I am also praying for your peace of mind. I am finding Michael's cancer to be more difficult to deal with than my own, and we don't even know the results of his PET scan yet. You are not alone! Love, Laura (Beasley Lockett Yaros)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor are you alone. I've been reading your posts about Michael as well. Let's just agree that cancer sucks. Best to Michael!

      Delete