Monday, June 29, 2009

OK, it has been a while since my last post, but things have been really holding steady here.  Deb continues to slowly improve and I continue to try to take care of her and do some work around the house as well.  Deb's mom has been around for most of it, but she did drive up to Kingsport yesterday morning and spent the night (she had her own appointment with a doctor today) before driving back down today.  I guess I hadn't realized it, but Linda had been dealing with emptying Deb's drain ever since we first brought Deb home.  Last night was the first time I did it myself.  I guess I can check the final box on the nursemaid checklist now.

Deb also continues to get cards, calls, messages, and visits as well.  Four of her friends came into town on Saturday and ended up going to get dinner and bring it back.  Jeff and Gabe came by yesterday for a visit, and our next-door neighbors stopped in last night.  I'm happy that she's getting all the outside encouragement.  I think it really makes a difference.

OK, now for what's coming up.  As I stated before, I will be taking Linda to the airport tomorrow morning so she can fly out to Nevada for another month or two.  Then Deb and I will go back to the reconstructive surgeon for an early afternoon appointment.  We expect (and hope) that he will be removing the last drain tomorrow.  He may also put a little more saline in Deb's tissue expander (pre-implant), but that isn't certain, either.  I may not have reported it well, but Deb was really sore after the first drain was removed.  Not a pleasant sensation, I would imagine.  It's likely that this one will hurt more coming out, as I believe it is in deeper.

Deb's plan is to pre-medicate before the appointment with the heavy-duty painkiller (Tylenol just won't cut it).  I hope that's effective enough, but I recognize the possibility that I may have an especially uncomfortable patient on my hands for about 48 hours or so.  Maybe I should pre-medicate, too?  I am, of course, referring to a legal drug, which would be caffeine.  Espresso is my preferred delivery mechanism.  Enough to maintain vigilant attentiveness, but not be too jittery (a delicate balance, I assure you).

So keep those good wishes flowing her way.  

1 comment:

  1. George and Deb. Glad things are coming along. Hope having the second drain out isn't too painful. At least, it is the last one. Give each other a hug for us. Mom

    ReplyDelete