Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Post 1 - Surgery Eve

It's the evening before Dr. Deb's surgery and I've decided that the best way to keep the large number of interested parties informed about the upcoming events is to blog about it.

I blog.  I don't tweet.  I blog.

A little information for those just coming "into-the-know".  Deb had a mammogram last Fall.  The results were, well, mixed.  They said that everything looked more or less OK, but that there was an 'area of interest' - something that they wanted to watch and reassess before the usual one year interval was up.  They asked her to come back in six months.

Fast forward to Spring.  Deb returned to have another mammogram done.  They looked at the results and said "Well, this area we wanted to look at looks fine.  Everything there is A-OK.  This other spot, however, ... we want to biopsy that."  Deb was able to have them schedule the biopsy immediately while she was still there.  We heard back from them on the next day.  The diagnosis was DCIS, or Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.  (Click the link for further information about DCIS).  It wasn't there six months ago.  Ladies, Deb is now a poster-child and strong advocate of getting your mammograms on a regular basis.

A lot more has occurred since that time as far as interactions with the medical community, but I can fill in those gaps later on.  The upshot is that she decided that single-side mastectomy followed by reconstruction is the way to go.  Having been privy to all of the discussions, I have to say that I agree.  If all goes well with this, she won't have to receive radiation or chemo, and that's a very good thing.

Anyway, her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  We'll be at the hospital sometime in the morning so they can begin the whole prep process.  I'm not sure just when they'll wheel her away from me to put her under anesthesia, but I'm not looking forward to that moment at all.  It's strange - I've been through seven surgeries since 1989 and I haven't really had any nervousness at all going into them.  This isn't me, though.  This is my wife of 18.5 years and object-of-my-affection of 26.5 years.  I suppose this is turn-about for all of the times she's watched them wheeling me off to pre-op.  I was always cracking jokes with the staff then.  I doubt I'll feel like that tomorrow.

I'll have the laptop with me tomorrow.  If I can get a wi-fi connection at the hospital I will post an update after they take her back.

Wish her luck.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Our family will have her in our prayers and will be watching your site for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George,
    We are thinking of you and Deb. I pray all will go well.
    John C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info George, well written by the way. I only wish Deb was having her surgery here at UT so I could provide some support for the two of you.
    I'll be thinking of you both today. I'll send
    a prayer up too.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, thanks for update. Even though I'm farther away in distance, please know that my thoughts and prayers are close with you and Deb today.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you both.

    John & Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. George, We are with you in our thoughts and our prayers. I am sure everything will be okay but very sorry that Deborah and you have to go through this. If I could do it for her, I would. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete