Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Potato Soup Caper

Question: When is a bowl of potato soup not a bowl of potato soup?
Answer #1: When it is a plate of chicken and dumplings.

Not long after my previous post the nurses asked Deb if she felt like eating something. Deb wasn't very hungry, but thought that maybe a bowl of soup would be good. Her aunt suggested the potato soup, which she had tried at lunch, so Deb ordered a bowl of that and some ice cream. Twenty minutes or so later, someone showed up with a covered dish on a tray that looked suspiciously not like a bowl of soup. Indeed not. I pulled the cover off to reveal a plate of chicken and dumplings with a side of apple sauce. The food deliverers had already beat a hasty retreat.

Deb said it would be fine and started picking at it unenthusiastically, but her aunt and I decided that she should actually have what she actually ordered and asked the nurse to reorder the soup et al. It wasn't long after that when I sent Deb's aunt away (more on that later), so I was waiting for Deb's soup alone (since Deb had drifted off about then).

Twenty five minutes later I went up to the nurses' station to check on the soup order, but they didn't know anything about it and said they could try reordering again. I decided that I could more easily go down to the cafeteria and get some myself, so I went back to the room to see if there was anything else she might want. Little did I know that the food delivery people had snuck in while I was down the hall. There was Deb, eating from a bowl.

Question: When is a bowl of potato soup not a bowl of potato soup?
Answer #2: When it's a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

At least they brought her the ice cream.
________________________

As for Deb's aunt, we sent her off when we started noticing the numerous flashes of light coming from outside. Since I didn't see any receptions going on that would require thirty or so photographers, and since we are on the fifth floor and not many photographers would climb that high anyway, we quickly surmised that there was a rather intense lightning storm brewing and that those headed one hundred miles east to get home should probably get to it before the storm hit with full force rather than after.

Todd did not end up coming back by tonight. I don't blame him. The lightning was pretty intense around here at 8:30pm when he'd planned to drop by. Maybe we'll see him tomorrow.

I'll hold off on posting again until after we see the surgeon in the morning. I suspect he'll decide to send Deb home then. Time will tell.

Good night.

2 comments:

  1. Just thought I would report in on my adventures of driving home in that horendous electical storm! I must say that I have NEVER driven throught the likes of that in my life! Not just lighthing - but downpours that actually slowed traffic on I-40 to 20 mph - with everyone's emergency lights flashing. I was so intent on gripping my steering wheel that I couldn't even FIND my emergency lights. Anyway - the storm lasted until about 20 miles from home - but all's well that ends well. Thinking about your guys - and praying for you without ceasing. We'll be glad to hear that you're both HOME soon! Love, Aunt Debbie and Uncle Bud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that all is going well. Evidently, the hospital was desparate to get some form of chicken into Deb, maybe they hadn't finished growing the potatoes...probably got delayed after building the new hospital room.

    We are praying for both of you...hope Deb is not in too much pain.

    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete