Thursday, June 25, 2009

Three More Down

First of all, allow me to apologize for not posting yesterday, but after dinner and helping Deb with her first post-surgical shower (which pleased her mightily), I was feeling a bit ill and went straight to bed (most likely due to the pork BBQ I'd had for dinner).  That just means I have more to say tonight.

So yesterday's appointment was back with Deb's general surgeon.  He went over the pathology report in more detail with us (it's all good) and answered some of Deb's questions about long-term diligence.  About the pathology report; he said he doesn't like to use the word "cured", but that this is about as close as it gets to that (WooHoo!).  At the end of the appointment he told Deb that she should go ahead and schedule an appointment with the Oncologist to see if he wanted to put her on Tamoxifen, which is a long-term (i.e., five year) preventative drug.  His office made the appointment for us and it was today.  Wow.  I'm not used to getting appointments that fast.

Today's first appointment was with the Oncologist.  He and Deb talked it over for about ten minutes after going over the pathology report, and the final consensus was that Tamoxifen wasn't likely to do her enough good to be worth the likely side effects, especially given the increased detection protocol Deb will be using to screen for any future cancer risks.  I didn't contribute much to the conversation other than to support or explain some of the statistical jargon/data, but I agree with their conclusion.

Having said that, I suppose I should say that Deb probably thinks that I haven't had/don't have much of an opinion about most of her course of treatment.  Truth is, I do have opinions - usually definite opinions, about everything, but I decided long ago to keep my mouth shut and let her make most of the decisions for herself, only offering input if I was truly in opposition (but without trying to impose my will).  What I've found is that my opinions have matched Deb's at every step of the way (which just goes to show that we are somewhat compatible and that there's hope for us yet).

The last appointment was back with the reconstructive surgeon.  We had hoped he would be removing the drains today since he didn't remove them on Tuesday, but he only gave us half of what we wanted.  He removed one of the drains, which is at least some progress.  He wants to see Deb again on Tuesday, so he will likely remove the other one then.  Deb is a little uncomfortable this evening from where the drain was removed, but she took a painkiller a little while ago and that should knock the edges off of the pain.

Tuesday is also when Deb's mom leaves to return to Nevada, so I'm on my own again at that point.  I will likely have to take Tuesday off from work to drive Linda to the airport at mid-morning and take Deb to the doctor in the early afternoon.  That makes a very short work week for me with just Monday and Wednesday.  I'll just have to make do, I suppose.

Thanks again for all of the cards and calls and emails et al.  It's good to have friends.

4 comments:

  1. George and Deb:
    I am so happy that the news is good! Also to hear that you both are holding up so well through all of this. This kind of thing is hard on the patient and the caregiver so try to get rest when you can. Please don't hesitate to call me if either of your need anything. Scott, the doggies and I are all thinking of you all!
    Laura/Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb and George,

    I'm very happy to hear things are going well! George, you're always good for a giggle.

    Thoughts and Prayers!
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  3. George and Deb,
    First I'm hearing about your ordeal. Holy cow! and yuck. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Hopefully the worst of recovery is over and every day is a little (or a lot) better.

    At least according to your last post things look good going forward in terms of prognosis.

    Say Hi to Linda for me.

    Take care,
    tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi George and Deb, We are glad to hear everything is going so well. Keep up the good recovery.

    ReplyDelete